Monday, May 30, 2011

Spicy Mussels

I've been on a mussels kick lately so this time I wanted to make them myself.  I was planning on putting this on the grill but the wind ruined my master plan...so, I prepared in a cast iron skillet instead, but any large pot or skillet will work.

Remember to get fresh mussels and not to suffocate the little guys, that means do not leave them in a plastic bag for hours on end in your fridge.  Toss any that have open shells, it means they were gasping for air and most likely died (murderer).  Enzymes quickly break down after the mussel dies making it taste icky.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 fresh cloves of garlic-minced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup white wine
2 bay leaves
1lb fresh mussels


Heat oil on medium and cook garlic and pepper flakes for about one minute.

















Add tomatoes, wine and bay leaves and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the mussels and cook covered for 8 minutes.
Devour.



                                                   I sure do love me some bivalves.

                                                                    Recipe from: everyday with rachel ray magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment